EVENTS AND COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT, SENIOR MANAGER
The Maritime Aquarium at Norwalk, Inc. (TMA or theAquarium) seeks a Senior Manager of Events andCommunity Engagement, responsible for conceiving, creatingand executing compelling events at the Aquarium. This individualalso generates community goodwill by representing the Aquarium atoff-site events, trade shows, conventions, etc.
The mission of The Maritime Aquarium is to inspire people of allages to appreciate and protect the Long Island Sound ecosystem andthe global environment through living exhibits, marine science andenvironmental education. For more than 34 years, theAquarium has played a significant role in shaping the landscape ofNorwalk and the region. The second largest family attraction inConnecticut, and 50 miles from New York City, theAquarium historically hosts nearly 400,000 guests annually. Itsprimary exhibits take guests on a voyage from the shallow saltmarshes and estuaries to the depths of the Long Island Sound andthe ocean beyond, culminating with habitats for sharks and harborseals. Altogether, the Aquarium is home to nearly 7,000animals and over 360 species in 75 exhibits. A new 4D Theateroffers a unique sensory film experience for guests. Its educationprograms introduce approximately 80,000 students, campers andscouts to marine and STEM education. The Aquarium isrecognized as a top aquarium in the nation, and is accreditedby the Association of Zoos and Aquariums. It is an activeparticipant in the local and regional community. The strengthof the Aquarium is its 60 full-timestaff, and part-time andseasonal staff, in addition to nearly 300volunteers, which contribute 28,000 hours annually. While thepandemic challenged the Aquarium in profound ways, the team’sresilience and creativity led to new ways to connect with thecommunity, and renewed optimism for the future.
Reporting to the Vice President of Philanthropy and Engagement,the Senior Manager of Events and Community Engagement, isresponsible for working cross-functionally to conceive, create andexecute compelling (cultivation and fundraising) events at theAquarium. This individual also generates community goodwill byrepresenting the Aquarium at off-site events, trade shows,conventions, etc. and establishes and/or co-manages corporatepartners looking to engage in outreach activities.
Fundraising and ‘Friend-raising’Events
- Establish fundraising and ‘friend-raising’ event manual(s),processes, etc. in line with agency processes.
- In coordination with the development team and SSA catering,plan and execute all fundraising and ‘friend-raising’ eventsincluding, but not limited to, the annual gala, annual golfclassic, and others TBD. Responsibilities include:
- Serve as primary point of contact to internal and externalstakeholders, including event permitting if/as needed.
- Create and manage event project plan and timeline.
- Develop event specific budgets—in line with revenueprojections, manage to approved line items, track all revenue andexpenses, and process associated invoices.
- Coordinate the event run-of-show; lead on logistics, throughevent execution.
- Partner with the development team on solicitations, giftprocessing and acknowledgements.
- Conduct vendor research for all elements (design, AV,entertainment, etc.), make hiring recommendations and manage onceon-board.
- Ensure Aquarium staffing and assignments to relevantresponsibilities before, during, and after event.
- Plan and oversee event debrief sessions with outlook planningfor following year.
- Community Partnerships and EngagementEvents
- Establish guidelines for partnership and relevant eventmanuals, processes, etc. in line with agency processes.
- In partnership with development, marketing, guest services andothers, field inquiries from community partners and corporationsseeking engagement activities; conduct due diligence.
- Work with partners to create meaningful opportunities toconnect the Aquarium:
- In concert with development and marketing teams, createproposals (and agreements) with engagement opportunities andassociated benefits.
- Manage and expand relationships with community partners.
- In coordination with membership, ensure partners are up-to-dateon agreements by overseeing calendar of any corporatememberships/agreements.
- Ensure partner relationship is sustained through ongoingcommunication and evaluation of needs and any possiblereports/updates.
- Attend community partner events as a representative of theAquarium, both internally and externally.
- Oversee and manage all Community Partnerships and EngagementEvents in line with activities outlined in Point #1.
- Partner internally to design and execute all Aquarium-sponsoredevents, in line with activities outlined in Point #1.
- Support logistics of press and staff events as requested.
- Support/lead special projects as requested.
- Minimum of 5 years relevant and progressive experience.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Marketing or relatedfield.
- Experience in a non-profit organization preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to conceive and manage event details.
Knowledge and Skills
- Commitment to the Aquarium’s mission, with an appreciation forthe important role that the Aquarium plays in conservation,education and the life of a vibrant community.
- Commitment to equity and social justice, and strong alignmentwith our organizational values.
- An attitude of creativity, innovation, confidence andentrepreneurship, with an ability to inspire and motivateaudiences.
- Strong interpersonal skills across stakeholders including:staff, volunteers, trustees, vendors, talent, donors and others;works well within teams, strong collaborator.
- Ability to prioritize the needs of the business in tandem withthe needs of the event and strong guest experiences.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Continuous improvement / problem solving mindset and way ofworking
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and experience withfundraising databases.
- Excellent organizational, project management and negotiatingskills.
- Strong attention to detail
- Willingness to work evenings, weekends and holidays asneeded.
Please send a cover letter, CV and salary requirements toRosemarie Lombardi at rlombardi@Maritimeaquarium.org,with Senior Manager of Events and Community Engagement in thesubject line of your email.
The Maritime Aquarium is an equal opportunityemployer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals,regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged toapply.